From Robert Burrell Donkin <RobertDon...@appleonline.net>
Subject appender factory method for configurators
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2001 18:01:16 GMT
(the version of log4j i have is 1.0.4)

i have some custom appenders whose constructor passes in a
ServletContext. of course, this means that i've had to write a custom
configurator which allows appenders to be manufactured with non-empty
constructors.

1. i have some stuff and it works for me, but the log4j configurators
are inelegant to subclass for this purpose since vital methods are
package scoped. why not change them to protected so that they can be
subclassed by custom configurators outside the log4j package?

2. in general, log4j configurators use some variation of
class.forName(appenderName).getInstance(). it would make it much easier
to subclass configurators if they called a factory method which could be
overridden in a subclass rather than included this in code.

(i'm new to the log4j lists, so please don't be too hard on me if i
should be posting this to the dev list instead or have commited some
other great log4j sin...)

- robert