From "Diamond, Josh M" <Josh_Diam...@rsco.com>
Subject Need user name, hostname, etc. in log...
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2001 20:40:05 GMT

Greetings:

We are implementing a large, distributed system here and using log4j.

We wish to deploy a tree of SocketNode based remote loggers, so that
multiple application logs may be consolidated.   The problem is that in the
remote logs there is no way to tell at which host, user, JVM, etc. the
original message was logged.

I am currently working around this using NDC, but that is very tedious,
especially with Swing applications where I do not create the thread in which
work is actually done.

I propose adding the following to LoggingEvent:

  static InetAddress inetAddress = InetAddress.localHost();
  static String user = Properties.getProperty("user.name");
  static Object otherData = null;

  public static setOtherData(Object od) {otherData = od};

Obviously, the various layout classes would have to be modified to provide
the ability to render these values.

Am I too late for 1.1?

Comments?

Joshua Moses Diamond
Vice President
Robertson Stephens
josh_diamond@rsco.com
+1 (212) 940-9649

 <<Joshua Moses Diamond.vcf>>

DISCLAIMER

Notice Regarding Entry of Orders and Instructions:

Please do not transmit orders and/or instructions regarding your Robertson Stephens account(s)
by e-mail. Orders and/or instructions transmitted by e-mail will not be accepted by Robertson
Stephens, and Robertson Stephens will not be responsible for carrying out such orders and/or
instructions.

Notice Regarding Privacy and Confidentiality:

Robertson Stephens reserves the right to monitor and review the content of all e-mail communications
sent and/or received by its employees.