From Erik van Zijst <e...@marketxs.com>
Subject Re: reloading configuration at runtime
Date Tue, 03 Apr 2001 15:41:58 GMT
Ceki (and other guru's ;),

Could you shine a light on this?
I did quite a few tests with log4j already and I want to use it in our EJBs
in favor of JLog.

Two crucial thing have to be taken care of first though.

First is the reconfiguration thing as described below in the earlier mail.

Second, since the JVM's of our remote clients will be sending us logs over
RMI, I need the log messages to contain server (IP address) information.

To forward log events over RMI, I wrote the client a RemoteAppender which has
a reference to an EJB. This EJB exposes one method which takes the
LoggingEvent. The EJB then passes the events (coming from multiple clients)
to its Category instance with callAppenders().

Now where do I add server-info? Has to take place at the client (EJB's are
supposed have no notion of their client's location). It would ultimately
enable me to filter on servername (or client name, since clients can use
multiple servers) on the server and log clients to different files.

Another thing is AsyncAppender. My custom RemoteAppender uses RMI and is thus
very expensive. Access to this Appender should be asynchronous. I can
configure this in the DOMConfigurator's XML file (already did), but then I
appear to loose all location information (classname, filename, linenumber).
What could I do about that?

Thanks in advance,
Erik

On Monday 02 April 2001 19:04, you wrote:
> If you instantiate PropertyConfigurator using the following constructor:
>
> PropertyConfigurator.configureAndWatch(baseDir+"/conf/server.properties",15
>0 00);
>
> The first arg is the path to the properties file and the second arg is the
> time in millis that the properties files will be re-read for runtime
> changes.

Thanks Bill. I already glanced over the configureAndWatch method.
Unfortunately it's not exactly what I'm looking for. I need to be able to
reconfigure the client's logging subsys from the server (using RMI or JMS,
probably JMS). I cannot edit a config file on the client's machine. Most
specifically because it's not mine and I have no access to it.
Clients of ours use our library in their own software on their own machines,
but this library connects to our EJB servers.

Is there any way I can extend log4j so I can reconfigure it on the fly
through a method invocation? Should I extend BasicConfigurator for that?

Erik

--
snappy repartee:
	What you'd say if you had another chance.