From "L. Scott Emmons" <sco...@center.uscs.com>
Subject Re: Memory footprint question re large-scale J2EE deployment
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 15:54:14 GMT
Thanks Michael and Scott for explaining how this works to me. I do
appreciate it greatly, and it helps me understand. While I've been
hacking C for many years, I'm new to Java and struggling a bit with some
of this.

I guess I'm going a bit OT here, as this is a general JVM question, but
I'm trying to get a handle on how this works.

Let's say I have classes A1 and A2, which instantiate objects of class
B. Both A1 and A2 are running in the same JVM.

For the sake of argument, class B is 500 bytes of byte-code, has 10
bytes of class-static data, and 10 bytes of non-static data.

If I understand correctly, there will be 1 copy of class B's 500 byte
code. There will be 1 copy of class B's 10 byte static data. And there
would 2 copies of class B's non-static data, 10 bytes each for A1 and
A2.

Am I getting it?

Again, sorry for taking this OT.
-Scott