From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Time stamping of log messages
Date Wed, 11 Apr 2001 16:52:27 GMT
At 19:48 08.04.2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Paul
>
>> I'm work on an application that logs across timezones.  The timestamp I
>> see in the DOS box inside of PC Anywhere connecting to the remote
>> machine is one hour different than the timestamp I see in a local DOS
>> box being fed by a SimpleSocketServer.  Since the SimpleSocketServer
>> also receives events from servers in the same timezone, the log file is
>> consistent in using a single timezone (the local one).
>>
>> Does this explain what you are seeing?
>
>Could well be it ... never though the to check the remote machine in
>question. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into whether this was the cause.

What Paul described is certainly true for the newest code in our CVS rep. As far as I know,
1.1b1 or any previous version the PatternLayout does time stamping when formatting the event,
not when the event was created. This was a silly bug that has been corrected in the code in
our CVS rep. In other words, in 1.1b2 and later versions, PatternLayout will use the time
stamp that was minted when the LoggingEvent was created or approximately at the same time
as the logging statement was invoked. Hope this further clarifies the matter, Ceki

Ceki Gülcü     Web: http://qos.ch
email: cgu@qos.ch or ceki_gulcu@yahoo.com