From Michael Brennan <Michael_Bren...@Allegis.com>
Subject RE: Memory footprint question re large-scale J2EE deployment
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2001 00:39:32 GMT
Yes, they are just references to hash table entries. Once a Category object
for a particular logging category is instantiated, Category.getInstance will
always return a reference to the already instantiated instance.

The static member approach is a good pattern, IMO. That's what I do. I also
typically use one Category per package, although occassionally will use more
(and may even have more than one Category for a particular class if I want
to be able to filter logging output on a more granular level).