From "Renaud Waldura" <renaud+lo...@waldura.com>
Subject What appender to use for development?
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 01:22:54 GMT
Dear Log4J Users,

What appender/layout combination do you use during development?

Currently we log everything to a file and "tail -f" that file, but it's not
always very practical (Windows equivalent of "tail -f"?). I've looked into
logging the NT event viewer, but I cannot say I'm thrilled about its
interface. Besides, I'd rather have something platform-independent, since
this is how we work.

Basically I'm looking for something that would show all log message as they
are generated, with some visual cues as to what level/module they originated
from.

I asked earlier this week about a "color layout" that would show colored
text, but the "TextPanelAppender " I was directed to, was taken out of the
core distribution and doesn't compile with log4j 1.1.1. It sounded promising
though...

I've also tried ChainSaw, but I feel like it's too limited, and I'm not very
fond of its design, piping log events to a separate process.

Ideas/advice?

--Renaud