From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: System.err gone? -- found it
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 06:23:10 GMT
Johannes,

According to your stack trace ConsoleAppender.closeWriter is not overriding WriterAppender.closeWriter
which explains why System.eer is being closed. I'll look into this ASAP. Which version of
log4j is this by the way? Thanks, Ceki

At 17:06 21.08.2001 -0700, Johannes Ernst wrote:
>I found it. And it indeed closes System.err. Here's the stack trace. (manually typed in
from looking at JBuilder's debugger window -- there may be typos, after all, it's me typing
...)

>java.io.Printstream.close # 117   -- and this instance is System.err
>java.io.OutputStreamWriter.close # 259
>java.io.FilterWriter.close # 89
>WriterAppender.closeWriter # 212
>WriterAppender.reset # 331
>WriterAppender.close # 202
>AppenderAttachableImpl.removeAllAppenders # 109
>Category.remoteAllAppenders # 897
>PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory # 586
>PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory # 502
>PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure # 410
>PropertyConfigurator.configure # 341
>
>The config file being set in the above call is:
>
>log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A1, A2
>
>log4j.categoryFactory=com.r_objects.util.logging.Log$LogFactory
>
># A1 is set to be a ConsoleAppender
>
>log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
>log4j.appender.A1.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] (%13F:%L)%n - %m%n%n
>
># Set options for appender named "A2"
>
>log4j.appender.A2=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
>log4j.appender.A2.File=settings.log
>log4j.appender.A2.layout=org.apache.log4j.PatternLayout
>log4j.appender.A2.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p %d [%t] %-17c{3} (%13F:%L) %n @ %C.%M:%L%n%n
- %m%n-----------------%n

>My (admittedly uneducated) guess would be that ConsoleAppender not only needs to override
closeWriter() -- which it does -- but also close().

>Let me know if you have any questions.
>

>>Johannes,
>>
>>Nothing in the log4j core closes System.err. However, without looking at your properties
file it is hard to say what is going on. For example, Jboss (http://jboss.org) maintains its
own appender which redirects system.err and system.out to a default category and then to an
appender. Your environment might play similar tricks on you.

>>In any case, your bug report is not meaningful without the contents of your properties
file. Regards, Ceki

>>At 11:22 10.08.2001 -0700, Johannes Ernst wrote:
>>>Ceki,
>>>
>>>I'm not sure I can beyond the code fragment below. Maybe some questions:
>>> - is there any chance that log4j calls "System.err.close()" somewhere under some
circumstances? That would reproduce my behavior...
>>> - or a "redirect" in some form, such as "System.err=someOtherStream" -- I realize
that System.err. is final, so maybe not

>>>If there's nothing that jumps out at you, the problem is probably on my end although
I have no idea where to look ...

Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch