From Ceki Gülcü <...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Log4J on AS/400
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2001 20:48:26 GMT

Can you please execute the following code on AS/400 and send me the results?

public class Foo {
  static public void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
    foo();
  }

  static
  void foo() throws Exception {
    throw new Exception("Just testing");
  }
}

Thanks, Ceki

At 11:07 29.08.2001 -0400, Pamidimarri, Pavan wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I ran into a bit of a problem while using Log4J on AS/400. I am unable to get the class
and method names printed with the log messages, using the %C and %M patterns in PatternLayout.
Question-marks get printed in place of both. I am using Log4J version 1.1.3, with IBM's AS/400
JDK 1.2.2.

>The same code+configuration file combination produces proper output (with class and method
names) on NT (IBM JDK 1.2.2, and in VAJ 3.5.3 as well).

>The trouble-shooting guide at <http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/TROUBLESHOOT.html#jit>http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/TROUBLESHOOT.html#jit
mentions that JIT compilation should be turned off, and the optimise flag should not be used
during compilation, for these patters to work. I compiled my classes with the -g debug flag,
and then 'created a Java program' on AS/400, with the CRTJVAPGM command described at <http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/index.htm?info/java/rzaha/crtjva.htm>http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/pubs/html/as400/v4r5/ic2924/index.htm?info/java/rzaha/crtjva.htm.
(I'm a complete novice on AS/400, so I'm not quite sure of this.) I set the optimisation level
to *INTERPRET. But when I run my program, the class and method names are still NOT printed.

>Please let me know if there is anything else I should/could do to make this work. Any
pointers would be highly appreciated.

--
Ceki Gülcü - http://qos.ch