From Seemantini Godbole <SEEMANTINI.GODB...@getthere.com>
Subject RE: log4j for Auditing
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:42:04 GMT
Mike,

First of all I created and used a class called ThreadInfo (very similar to
MDC that is being talked about) to record user, component, request etc. So
this gets logged on every line of the log.

Secondly, I created priority levels called PERFORMANCE and TRANSACTION.
Performance is for logging time taken by components. Transaction is to log
the 'shopping cart' everytime somebody placed something in the shopping
cart.

Currently these two levels are used only around common entry points. For
example, we have a common entry point in servlet, where different components
are used to service requests. I have put performance logging around it in my
servlet. Similarly we have common point of entry for buying logic and I have
put Transaction logging around it.

Hope this helps,
Seemantini

-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Mangelson [mailto:MikeMa@VSP.com]
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2001 2:16 PM
To: 'log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org'
Subject: log4j for Auditing

It seems that log4j could be used for Auditing as well as general debugging
and logging.  We need to do some basic audit trails: Userid, what they did,
which component, timestamp, etc.

My question is this:  Has anyone used log4j for this?  And if so, what
priority do you log these things at?  It needs to 'log' all the time, and
therefore should be 'ERROR' or 'FATAL', but these priorities do not seem
appropriate for audit trails.

Thanks,
Mike