From tmu...@moneynet.com
Subject RE: log4j for Auditing
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 19:44:07 GMT

Do you log those new fields individually like into a table? Do you use any
patternlayouts?

- Tim
Timothy G. Mullé
Senior Software Architect
Reuters Valley Forge Solutions Center
1000 Madison Avenue
Norristown, PA 19403-2432

Phone: (610) 650-8600 x8340
Fax:      (610) 650-8170

                    Seemantini Godbole

<log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org>
                    there.com>                     cc:

                                                   Subject:     RE: log4j for Auditing

                    08/06/2001 03:42 PM

                    Please respond to

                    "LOG4J Users Mailing

                    List"

Mike,

First  of all I created and used a class called ThreadInfo (very similar to
MDC that is  being talked about) to record user, component, request etc. So
this gets logged  on every line of the log.

Secondly, I created priority levels called PERFORMANCE and TRANSACTION.
Performance is for logging time taken by components. Transaction is to
log the 'shopping cart' everytime somebody placed something in the shopping
cart.

Currently these two levels are used only around common entry points. For
example, we have a common entry point in servlet, where different
components are used to service requests. I have put performance logging
around it in my servlet. Similarly we have common point of entry for buying
logic and I have put Transaction logging around it.

Hope  this helps,
Seemantini