From sandro.r...@namics.com
Subject RE: log4j and J2EE problem
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 06:30:29 GMT

hi,

>>My understanding from the Weblogic documentation,
http://e-docs.bea.com/wls/docs61///programming/packaging.html#1051556, is
that Weblogic uses two classloaders per application.  One for >>EJBs and
one for the webapp with the webapp's class loader being a child of the
EJB's class loader.

>>So, how are people initialing log4j so that there is a single singleton
per application in Weblogic?

>>James

as far as i understand log4j (that's perhaps wrong..??!!) is implemented as
a singleton (1 instance per vm).
so... the question is how many vm are running?? one for web-container and
one for ejb-container?? or one per weblogic-application?
i'm not that far in weblogic 6.1 but in weblogic 5.1 we had to write a
web-logic-startup-class to initialize log4j properly for each
cluster-instance (single-tier-cluster)
and there is only one app running on that cluster...

1 cluster-instance = 1 vm = 1 log4j-instance...?!

any comments?

sandro