From Johannes Ernst <jer...@acm.org>
Subject Re: System.err gone? -- found it
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 00:06:42 GMT
I found it. And it indeed closes System.err. Here's the stack trace.
(manually typed in from looking at JBuilder's debugger window --
there may be typos, after all, it's me typing ...)

java.io.Printstream.close # 117   -- and this instance is System.err
java.io.OutputStreamWriter.close # 259
java.io.FilterWriter.close # 89
WriterAppender.closeWriter # 212
WriterAppender.reset # 331
WriterAppender.close # 202
AppenderAttachableImpl.removeAllAppenders # 109
Category.remoteAllAppenders # 897
PropertyConfigurator.parseCategory # 586
PropertyConfigurator.configureRootCategory # 502
PropertyConfigurator.doConfigure # 410
PropertyConfigurator.configure # 341

The config file being set in the above call is:

log4j.rootCategory=DEBUG, A1, A2

log4j.categoryFactory=com.r_objects.util.logging.Log$LogFactory

# A1 is set to be a ConsoleAppender

log4j.appender.A1=org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender
log4j.appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d %-5p [%t] (%13F:%L)%n - %m%n%n

# Set options for appender named "A2"

log4j.appender.A2=org.apache.log4j.FileAppender
log4j.appender.A2.File=settings.log
log4j.appender.A2.layout.ConversionPattern=%-5p %d [%t] %-17c{3}

My (admittedly uneducated) guess would be that ConsoleAppender not
only needs to override closeWriter() -- which it does -- but also
close().

Let me know if you have any questions.