From Yoav Shapira <shap...@mpi.com>
Subject Re: best to start with 1.1.3 or 1.2 ?
Date Thu, 13 Dec 2001 14:32:19 GMT
Howdy,
Just for the record, I started using log4j with the current 1.2alpha,
and haven't had any problems.  This is with continuous heavy use
in production, several applications, nearly all the appender types,
some custom renderers, etc.  Performance has been great, too.

Yoav

"Randall J. Parr" wrote:

> Ceki Gulcu wrote:
>
> >I suggest you go with log4j 1.2.  It's marked alpha but is quite stable.
> >
> >At 08:41 12.12.2001 -0600, you wrote:
> >
> >>I want to start using Log4J in a project
> >>(currently in development, production in 1-3 months)
> >>
> >>I would prefer to start and learn using the newer 1.2 version
> >>which is, as I understand it, much closer to the logging
> >>to be included in Java 1.4.
> >>
> >>1) Is Log4J 1.2 ready or will very shortly be ready for this?
> >>
> >>2) If not, is moving from 1.1.3 to 1.2 (or Java 1.4)
> >>primarily new names or is it major change?
> >>

> >There are naming changes and many internal changes transparent to the user. Log4j
1.2 can be considered as a plug-in replacement for 1.1.3 in the vast majority of cases.