From Ceki Gulcu <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: JDK 1.1.8 compatibility of Log4j 1.1.3 RollingFilesAppender
Date Tue, 11 Dec 2001 22:01:56 GMT
Ron,

At 20:51 11.12.2001 +0200, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>It seems that the RollingFilesAppender is incompatible with JDK1.1.8. This
>is because its BeanInfo class uses a method that doesn't exist in JDK1.1.8
>(getBeanInfo(Class, int)).
>Is anyone aware of this?

Yes. It is even documented in the log4j FAQ which ships with log4j 1.1.3:

What are the prerequisites for log4j?
==================================

- Log4j is JDK 1.1.x compatible.

- Nevertheless, RollingFileAppender requires JDK 1.2 or above. This will be fixed in future
releases of log4j. If you need RollingFileAppender to run under JDK 1.1 then you can simply
remove RollingFileAppenderBeanInfo.class from log4j.jar.

Unfortunately, the FAQ which is on the jakarta-site does not reflect this information. (It's
a documentation bug.)

>Is it going to be fixed?

Yes and no. RollingFileAppenderBeanInfo is no longer needed but log4j 1.2 is likely to require
JDK 1.2.

Out of curiosity, how come you are still using JDK 1.1.x? Regards, Ceki