From Conor Clifford <ccliff...@arantech.com>
Subject RollingFileAppender file removal
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2001 10:22:05 GMT
Hi there,

I'm relatively new to log4J, and brand new to this list. I find the tool
fantastic, but have come across the following problem.

If the current log file created by the RollingFileAppender is deleted by a
user, the file is not re-created by log4J. This happens even if logging to
that file is disabled and then re-enabled through manipulation of the
configuration file. The only way to get this log file re-created is by
stopping and restarting the process in question, which is not really an
option as the process in question is a persistent 24-7 server process.

I know this is not going to happen very often (actually, deleting active
log-files should never really happen) but there is no guaranteeing what a
"user" will do.

I am using the following environment:

log4J version 1.1.3
Java version 1.3.1
SunOS 5.8

Is this a known problem, if so, is there a known solution?

Many Regards,

Conor.

             Conor Clifford
   Senior Software Engineer