From "Steve Simons" <mrno...@hotmail.com>
Subject Console for log messages
Date Wed, 05 Dec 2001 17:12:25 GMT
Hi,

I'm happliy using Log4j to generate wonderful log files with lots of useful
information.  However, to assist in finding system faults I would like to
use some type of management console that reads log files and highlights any
messages of a certain type (i,e, ERROR messages).

I know there are commercial products such as TIBCO Hawk that can be used for
this purpose but these tend to be a little too complicated for what I want
to do.

Is there a simple and free program I can use for this purpose?  Ideally
something that can sit running on a UNIX machine and constantly check the
log files, then report to a separate client on a different machine(possibly
with a different o/s).

Does anyone know of such a product?

I'm probably asking far too much of a free product but here's hoping.

Best Regards

SS