From Balaraman Sujatha <sujat...@cisco.com>
Subject Directing SocketAppender output to a File
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2002 01:28:08 GMT
Hi,
I am trying to use the SocketAppender to log messages from various JVM's to
a single log file.

On the Client side, I have defined a SocketAppender as follows:

# Set ctm category priority to ERROR and its appender to A2.
log4j.category.ctm=DEBUG, A1, A2

#This is so that the SocketNode receives all messages with priority FATAL
and above.
log4j.category.org.apache.log4j.net.SocketNode=FATAL

#A2 is the SocketAppender
log4j.appender.A2=org.apache.log4j.net.SocketAppender
log4j.appender.A2.RemoteHost=localhost
log4j.appender.A2.Port=8888

On the server side, I am not too sure, which category, should be assigned
the priority and appenders. I want to log all the messages coming into the
socket at the server side into a file.

Esesntially what I want to know is :

log4j.category. ????=DEBUG, R1

where R1 is a rolling file appender.

Can U please help me here.

Also, is there a way to log the log information coming into the socket from
a socketappender, into separate files, depending on the sending category ?

Thanks.
Sujatha.