From Ilya Tsymbal <i...@wellogic.com>
Subject Log4J performance under Solaris
Date Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:15:58 GMT
Hi,
I am running into a performance problem running log4j 1.1.3 on Sun Solaris
2.280 (SunOS 5.8). I tried it with two VMs:
Solaris VM (build Solaris_JDK_1.2.2_05a, native threads, sunwjit ) and
Classic VM (build JDK-1.2.2_006, green threads, sunwjit)

What I am seeing is that my category.info() calls take a long time - from
1/8 second to 1/2 second each. I am attaching a couple of screenshots from
a performance analyzer. Looking at the code,
LoggingEvent: 133 calls      locationInfo = new LocationInfo(new
Throwable(), fqnOfCategoryClass);
and LocationInfo then calls  t.printStackTrace(pw);

 From what I can tell by looking at the performance analyzer, the last
printStackTrace is what's taking up all the time. I suppose it's really the
JVM's fault.

I'd appreciate any pointers on how to fix it or a way to get around it.

Thank you,

Ilya Tsymbal