From Scott....@sybase.com
Subject Initialization of Log4j for multiple packages (VM Sessions) in AppServer
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 21:10:52 GMT

Hi,

 I have an interesting situation occurring when I initialize Log4j within
my AppServer environment. I coded a "service component" which is
basically just a special kind of session bean that initializes Log4j
perfectly when the AppServer is started(restarted). Everything
gets initialized properly and works great until a security component
which has been deployed (for various reasons) to a different java
package gets called. At that point I see that the static initialization
that was done previously at the start of the service component
happens again on a different thread and Log4j errors are printed
indicating that it hasn't been properly initialized.

So does this mean that Log4j initialization in an AppServer environment
really needs to be done for every new VM session (in this case that
occurs when a new package is employed by the AppServer)?

Thanks,
-Scott