From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Making the log4j library optional
Date Sat, 30 Mar 2002 10:11:45 GMT
At 15:36 29.03.2002 -0700, you wrote:
>Hi;
>
>Here's my problem. I'm creating a 3rd party library that people will use
>for their applications. I need to do no logging and I need to not require
>log4j when they use my library (first, if I log then I fill up their logs
>with stuff that means nothing to them and second, what if they use an
>incompatible version of log4j).

First, you would be surprised by the number of libraries that already
require log4j. Second, we go to great pains to ensure that all
versions of log4j are backward compatible. So I don't understand the
comment about incompatible versions of log4j.

>But wrapping the log4j calls in a class of my own won't work - because
>then when strings are logged - it will give the filename and line number
>of my wrapper method instead of the filename/line number of the place that
>the log statement was made.

I believe Mark has already answered this part of the question.

--
Ceki
My link of the month: http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/standardization/