From doug <ummmm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New Level?
Date Tue, 20 Aug 2002 23:09:18 GMT
MarkB@cms400.com wrote:
> I'm working on a project where I'm implementing a 3rd party
> proprietary/(mostly undocumented) network protocol.
> One of my logging statements dumps each byte as it's received/sent over the
> network. This is used in the "direst" debugging situations, and can
> obviously generate a very large number of logging events.
> (90% or more of the data is just encoded character data, and I also debug
> each character as it's decoded, so I get alot of events here as well.)
>
> These statements have the level of "DEBUG", but I think these situations
> warrant a new Level. Say "DEBUG_PEDANTIC". Basically this Level could be
> used in situations where the statement is a debug statement by definition,
> but it's called such a HUGE amount of times, and carries so little
> information, that it's only used in special/rare circumstances.
>
> Does this make any sense to add to log4j permanently? Does anyone else have
> a use for it?
> Or should I just add it myself to my own copy and use it privately?
>
> Thanks.
> -Mark

that's *exactly* the scenario for which we introduced our own TRACE
priority/level.  and, yes, we are paying for that choice by having to
make application code changes to migrate from log4j1.1 to 1.2.

including that one extra level in log4j would make us happy as well, but
i'm not holding my breath waiting.  otoh, if commons logging desires it,
who knows?