From Ken Arnold <arn...@moonhill.org>
Subject circular buffering
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 03:34:07 GMT
I need a circular buffered appender -- one that tracks the last N
messages so when something goes wrong I can dump out those.  The idea is
that the circular buffer can take debug-level messages, but you don't
see them until there is a problem, when only the N most recent ones are
likely to be valuable.

Has anyone already done this?  I've started to code this up, and run in
to the interesting problem of how to get my hands on these appenders to
flush them when that's needed.  (I'm assuming here that they are created
from configuration, not explicitly in code.)  The best I can figure out
is a static call that is given one logger, and then scrounges through
the tree finding and flushing these buffering appenders.  (I'm walking
up the tree from the logger looking for appenders until either I hit the
top or something that isn't additive; then  because I can't figure out
how to walk down the three I'm looking through all the loggers for those
that are descended from the specified logger without an intervening
non-additive logger.  This means that flushing from the root gets all
loggers not blocked by non-additives, for example.)

Any thoughts are welcome.  I will obviously post the thing when I'm done
in case anyone else wants it.

		Ken