From Ken Arnold <arn...@moonhill.org>
Subject Re: circular buffering
Date Wed, 07 Aug 2002 13:14:10 GMT

On Wednesday, August 7, 2002, at 08:19  AM, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

>> flush them when that's needed.  (I'm assuming here that they are
>> created
>> from configuration, not explicitly in code.)  The best I can figure out
>
> This is probably not a valid assumption.  I've seen a bunch of apps
> where people create loggers, appenders, etc. programmatically at various
> times in the application's lifecycle.  Something to watch out for if
> your design only runs from the configuration file...

I was sloppy in my letter.  The work I was describing was needed in the
configuration case, which is all my comment applied to.  I do provide a
flush method on the appender itself if you *do* have direct access.  In
my own work the configuration case is almost certain, but I didn't
forget others.

		Ken