From Shawn Wilson <sha...@atmreports.com>
Subject Re: DailyRollingFileAppender - roll at scheduled time instead of when record written
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 17:45:41 GMT
As it turns out I have implemented option 1 you listed, though for a
different reason. However, I think it may still serve David's needs. I
implemented this functionality because the call to Java.rename() would
fail every once in a while for no apparent reason. See:

http://www.mail-archive.com/log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg06271.html
http://www.mail-archive.com/log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org/msg06354.html

I've attached a DailyRollingFileAppender.java file that I modified from
the log4j-1.2.7 source. Basically it should be backwards compatible to
the distributed version without changes to your log4j.xml file. However,
if you want to use the feature I added you would set the new AlwaysDated
parameter to "true".

Here is an example:

     <appender name="A3" class="org.apache.log4j.DailyRollingFileAppender">
         <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>
         <param name="AlwaysDated" value="true"/>
         <param name="File" value="Scheduler.log"/>
             <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-15d{ISO8601} %-10p
         </layout>
     </appender>

By the way... I make no guarantees to the attached code. I have
minimally tested it and it seems to work but I would recommend you do
your own testing if you decide to use it.

-shawn