From Ceki Gülcü <c...@qos.ch>
Subject Re: Implementing auditing in log4j, was: Formal parameter ideas?
Date Wed, 16 Oct 2002 08:51:41 GMT
At 08:12 16.10.2002 +0100, you wrote:
>We are soon to be doing almost exactly that kind of
>thing on our project, for the purposes of auditing.
>
>We would like to use custom "AuditObjects" and log4j
>as the audit trail API.  For the implementation of the
>recording of the audting, we'd have custom
>"AuditObject" log4j renders and an Asynchronous
>appender linked to a JDBCAppender to write the audit
>trail into the database.
>
>I'd be interested in hearing if anyone can state if
>this is maybe a really bad idea for some reason??
>
>I also am a bit worried about the overhead of creating
>a short-lived "AuditObject" each time something that
>needs to be audited occurs (potentially a lot).

Creating massive amounts of audit data will defeat the purpose of the
audit. If the generated info is too voluminous, no one will be able to
read it without getting nauseous (literally). One must exercise
discernment when logging/auditing. Under this angle, the overhead of
the AuditObject becomes less important.

--
Ceki

others. -- Jon Postel, RFC 793