From David Sanders <dsand...@chaincast.com>
Subject DailyRollingFileAppender - roll at scheduled time instead of when record written
Date Wed, 30 Oct 2002 02:05:08 GMT
With DailyRollingFileAppender, how do I cause files to be rolled over on
the configurable interval instead of waiting for the first log write
attempt after the interval expires?

http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/api/org/apache/log4j/DailyRollingFileAppender.html
said:

 > DailyRollingFileAppender extends FileAppender so that the underlying
file is rolled over at a user chosen frequency.
 >For example, if the File option is set to /foo/bar.log and the
DatePattern set to '.'yyyy-MM-dd, on 2001-02-16 at midnight, the logging
file >/foo/ bar.log will be copied to /foo/bar.log.2001-02-16 and logging
for 2001-02-17 will continue in /foo/bar.log until it rolls over the next day.

The file won't be rolled on 2001-02-16 at midnight unless a message is
logged at midnight.  Instead, the file will be rolled when the first log
message is written after midnight.  In my application, that "first message"
could be several hours after midnight.  Yet, I need the log file closed
(and preferably renamed) at midnight so the log can be processed by another
program.