From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: WebLogic Repository Selector Question
Date Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:58:05 GMT

Unfortunately, I can tell you very little about either Weblogic or logging
in EJB's because, like I said before, I haven't really written any J2EE
apps.  The one thing that should hold true is that you shouldn't need to
worry about log4j being in the system classpath if you put a copy of log4j
in each webapp's WEB-INF/lib directory because, unlike other classloading
schemes, the way webapps work is that they look to their own classloader
first before looking to other classloader to load libraries.  This works to
your advantage because then log4j will be loaded by each WebappClassloader
instead of all apps looking at the one specified on the sysystem
classpath.  At least that is the way it works in Tomcat, but I believe the
servlet spec requires that behavior.

As as far as EJB's go, I'm not sure what to do there?  There must be others
on this list who have used log4j in EJB's and probably a few who have used
log4j from within Weblogic.  Maybe they can share their experiences.

So, I think your webapps are all set, but for EJB's you may have to modify
Log4jCRS or think of something else that you might want to key the
different logger repositories on.

Let me know if you find anything or improve up on my code.  I'd love to
figure all this out as well.

Jake