From "Graham Mead" <graham.m...@uk.royalsun.com>
Subject XMLLayout/Chainsaw
Date Mon, 11 Nov 2002 15:22:15 GMT
Hi,

I'm trying to open a log file via Chainsaw which has been written to via
the XMLLayout Appender
As per the Javadoc, I have created an xml file with the following entries

<?xml version="1.0" ?>
<!DOCTYPE log4j:eventSet SYSTEM "log4j.dtd" [<!ENTITY data SYSTEM "server.log">]>
<log4j:eventSet version="1.2" xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/">
  &data;
</log4j:eventSet>

If I attempt to open this with Chainsaw I get a "Error parsing file - null" message dialog.

If I use IE5 I get

Reference to undeclared namespace prefix: 'log4j'. Line 4, Position 1

<log4j:eventSet xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4">
^

and a blank screen with Netscape 7.0

If I copy the contents of server.log between the log4j:eventSet tags and remove the SYSTEM
entry

I can get Netscape 7.0 to resolve this quite happily but not IE5 or Chainsaw.

I am using xerces 1.4.3  as an XML parser in conjunction with Chainsaw

I have seen an archived entry  http://www.geocrawler.com/archives/3/8359/2002/5/300/8565707/
where it mentions that pasting the log file contents in, works with IE6.

I'm not totally sure that my Chainsaw problem is connected but it appears highly likely. Can
anyone shed some light on what is happening?

TIA Graham