From Daniel Serodio <dan...@checkforte.com.br>
Subject Re: Logging multiple strings
Date Mon, 27 Jan 2003 12:02:05 GMT
On Fri, 2003-01-24 at 18:57, serge.arsenault@desjardins.com wrote:
> I'm thinking of using log4j with the jdbc appender, to log some structured information
regarding the usage of my applications. I log with something like:

> myLogger.info( userName + applicationName + transactionName );
>
> I would like to be able to use a JDBC conversion pattern that would allow me to load
the user name in a column, the application name into another column, and the
> transaction name into a third column. But, since the logger only accepts a single string
as parameter, there is no way once we get into the layout specification to make a
> reference to individual elements. The layout only knows that my string corresponds to
the %m specification.

No, the logger accepts a single Object, not String. Wrap username,
appname and transactionname in some king of object, and register an
ObjectRenderer for this custom object.

> What I would need is the possibility of calling the logger with a collection of strings;
then, in the layout, I could reference each string with a %1m , %2m and %3m
> specification - something like
> ... INSERT INTO TEST_TABLE ( userName, transactionName, applicationName ) VALUES ( "%1m"
>
> I know there is no such thing in the package right now, and I don't expect it any time
soon, but do you think it would be feasible? And would it be useful, or am I the

--
Daniel Serodio <daniel@checkforte.com.br>
CheckForte