From "Keith Hatton" <khat...@axiomsystems.com>
Subject RE: Distributed System
Date Mon, 10 Mar 2003 16:13:00 GMT
Hi Andre,

On your second point, I would recommend you use HTTP to send log data back to the server.
I haven't used Log4J this way myself but in other systems I have worked on, the problem always
comes down to how to send data through a firewall and HTTP is by far the most ubiquitous way
of doing this. I presume that's why your "normal" client/server comms are using HTTP.

Hope this helps
Keith

-----Original Message-----
From: ANDRE.FLEISCHER@LHSYSTEMS.COM
[mailto:ANDRE.FLEISCHER@LHSYSTEMS.COM]
Sent: 10 March 2003 15:52
To: log4j-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Distributed System

Hi

we have an application with a j2ee server instance and a java swing client.
The client and the server are communicating via http. On the server side we
have a web-container and an ejb-container.
My first question is as follows: What is the "best practice" to log on the
server side (web+ejb-containter) ?
My Second one: On the client we do not want to log to a file. What appender
has the best performance to communicate with a server instanc? Should we
write a new Appender using a http stream ? What about the JMS or the
SocketAppender ? Can anyone give some pros/cons ?

Greetings
André Fleischer