From "Ebersole, Steven" <steven.ebers...@vignette.com>
Subject RE: log4j in clustered j2ee environment.
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2003 14:47:25 GMT
The two best options for centralized logging from within a J2EE app will be
either the socket-based appenders or the JMS-based appenders.  Both will let
you send the logs to a centralized location and deal with them there.

The JMS approach is reliable because it is using the JMS protocol, however
this reliability comes with a price in terms of the JMS overhead.  But it is
ideal if you need logging to be either transactional or never-ever lost.

The socket approach is faster, bu the best of the socket approaches (from a
j2ee perspective) would be the SocketHub approach which can drop messages
under certain circumstances.

It all depends which ones strenghts are the most important to you....