From Erik Price <epr...@ptc.com>
Subject Re: Problem in initialization
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2003 14:28:34 GMT

Ashraf Fouad wrote:

> - :))) yes, u can say some sort of C, I had quite some time collecting style guidlines
in Java from the Internet, and made my own customizable & suggested style guidlines document
( wish to share it, just ask ), I found from some documentation in Oracle the use of:
> m_ member variables
> s_ static variables
> l_ Local variables to methods
> p_ Parameter list in methods

My own convention for Java code is similar to yours, I use this style:

this.variableName       - member variables
ClassName.variableName  - static variable
variableName            - local variable within a method
variableName            - parameter variable

It could be argued that, using my conventions, there is no obvious
distinction between a local variable name and a parameter variable name,
but I believe that because the a parameter variable has the same scope
as a method local variable, they are really similar enough that a
special syntax doesn't do much for me.

Incidentally these conventions are in line with those at
<http://java.sun.com/docs/codeconv/html/CodeConvTOC.doc.html>.  Just
thought I'd share. :)

Erik