From Wulf Wechsung ...@contexo.de>
Subject AW: Performance and Logger.getLogger()
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 14:41:36 GMT
Hey!

Erik:

The FAQ:
http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/docs/FAQ.html

You are on the right track.

The question is:

{
	Logger logger = Logger.getLogger("foo.bar");

	logger.warn("");
	logger.error("");

}(Good)
vs.
{
	Logger.getLogger("foo.bar").warn("");
	Logger.getLogger("foo.bar").warn("");
	Logger.getLogger("foo.bar").warn("");
}(Bad)

Yoav:

Oh, logger naming is not much of a problem (since the developers have no way
of assigning them). The individual services have well-formed names like
folder.subfolder:servicename, so I just replace the ':' by '.' and the log4j
hierachy works again.

Well, maybe I'll end up doing some performance meassuring myself, I'll let
everyone taking an interest know.

Thanks for the quick response :-)
Wulf