From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: About Data Conversion Pattern
Date Wed, 02 Apr 2003 15:00:26 GMT

Howdy,
Looking at the JavaDoc for PatternLayout, it says:
"The date format specifier admits the same syntax as the time pattern
string of the SimpleDateFormat. Although part of the standard JDK, the
performance of SimpleDateFormat is quite poor."

Looking at the JavaDoc for SimpleDateFormat, I don't see a simple way to
do what you ask.  It has the S character for milliseconds, but I think
that's milliseconds within the current second, so "SSS" in the format
pattern will always range from 000-999.  And that's not what you want.

So the answer to your original question, AFAIK, is not automatically
with the built-in formats and appenders.  You can obviously extend an
Appender to do this, or write a Renderer to do this as well.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

intended