From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: MDC in J2EE environment
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:22:01 GMT

Howdy,
My convention with MDC and NDC has been for each method to just worry
about its own logging.  For example:

In SessionBeanA:
public void executeUseCase()
  // Put whatever you want into MDC
  // Log entry into SessionBeanA::executeUseCase
  // Call SessionBeanB::executeUseCaseB()
  // If you have more logging statements here,
  // need to re-populate MDC.
}

In SessionBeanB:
public void executeUseCaseB()
  // Put whatever you want into MDC
  // Log entry into SessionBeanB:executeUseCaseB()
}

But the above may simply be my approach because I haven't had time to
think of a better one.  I also assume that populating an MDC is a very
cheap operation: O(1) hash entries.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

EJBs