From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: configure programmatically if properties not found, how to?
Date Mon, 14 Apr 2003 12:53:12 GMT

Howdy,
One option is for you tocheck the log4j common questions wiki page for
how to see if log4j is configured.  Use this code to see if log4j is
configured.  If it's not configured, you can then do your programmatic
configuration.

Another option is to see if you can get the log4j.configuration system
property, i.e. System.getProperty("log4j.configuration") returns a
non-null value.  If you get back a non-null value, trust log4j to have
done its own configuration and don't worry about it.  But since you
message conveys a need for configuration success assurance, I'm guessing
you won't like this option.

The 3rd, and IMHO best, option is to make sure the log4j configuration
file is found.  Otherwise, throw various exceptions and don't proceed.
A real-world application cannot and shouldn't proceed without logging
capability.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics