From Vladimer Shioshvili <vshioshv...@qrc.com>
Subject Re: tomcat and log4j, again
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:06:56 GMT
1. look into using fileappenders, or even better rolling file appenders.
2. in the log4j api find patternlayout. it has very good documentation.

d Used to output the date of the logging event. The date conversion
specifier may be followed by a date format specifier enclosed between
braces. For example, %d{HH:mm:ss,SSS} or %d{dd MMM yyyy HH:mm:ss,SSS}. If
no date format specifier is given then ISO8601 format is assumed.

The date format specifier admits the same syntax as the time pattern string
of the
<http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.3/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html>SimpleDateFormat.

Although part of the standard JDK, the performance of SimpleDateFormat is
quite poor.

For better results it is recommended to use the log4j date formatters.
These can be specified using one of the strings "ABSOLUTE", "DATE" and
"ISO8601" for specifying
<../../../org/apache/log4j/helpers/AbsoluteTimeDateFormat.htm>AbsoluteTimeDateFormat,

<../../../org/apache/log4j/helpers/DateTimeDateFormat.htm>DateTimeDateFormat
and respectively
<../../../org/apache/log4j/helpers/ISO8601DateFormat.htm>ISO8601DateFormat.
For example, %d{ISO8601} or %d{ABSOLUTE}.

These dedicated date formatters perform significantly better than
<http://java.sun.com/products/jdk/1.3/docs/api/java/text/SimpleDateFormat.html>SimpleDateFormat.

Hope this helps