From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Log4j configuration in class libraries
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:22:10 GMT
Hi Mike,

I'm in almost total agreement with what you've just said.  Logging
configuration should be set by the application, not its
libraries.  Libraries shouldn't be adding a log4j.properties or log4j.xml
file to their classpath, thus triggering automatic log4j
configuration.  However, the application always has the opportunity to
explicitly configure things first.  If you do this, automatic configuration
using the libraries specific configuration file will be avoided, in which
case you shouldn't have a problem with a library overriding your own
configuration.  Additionally, you could take advantage of the fact that,
say, in webapps, resources from WEB-INF/classes are loaded preferentially
to resources from jars in WEB-INF/lib.  In this case, your own app's
automatic configuration will run first and, just as in the latter case,
avoid additonal automatic configuration via another library's configuration
file.  On the other hand, if a library is explicitly doing configuration in
some static block or something, that is just totally inappropriate and
should be very discouraged.

Hope that helps.

Jake