From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: tomcat and log4j, again
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2003 17:07:18 GMT

Howdy,

>I am not explicitly initializing log4j. A class that I am using
>in my app invokes logging as follows:
>
>package fermataintl.migrasponder.common;
>import java.sql.*;
>import org.apache.log4j.*;
>
>public class Vendor
>{
>     logger.warn("attempt to authenticate '" + id + "' failed");
>     private static Logger logger = Logger.getLogger(Vendor.class);
>}

The above can't compile: did you copy and paste it wrong?

>1571947 [Thread-5] WARN common.Vendor  - attempt to authenticate 'xxx'
>failed

Looks like the default layout, not the one you specified.

>So... my questions are:
>
>1) How do I get output to a file of my own choosing
>2) How do I get the formatting to come out with date and time
prepended?

Use a FileAppender or one of its variants.  Specify the File attribute
such that it points to a writable directory/file.  Specify the Layout
for this FileAppender just like you did for the ConsoleAppender.  I
don't know why the layout for your console appender wasn't picked up,
since you've already said you don't see any errors ever in your logs
even with log4j.debug=true.

Yoav Shapira