From "Atul Gosain" <agos...@cisco.com>
Subject Multiple logging inside a single webapp
Date Thu, 18 Dec 2003 14:23:19 GMT
Hi

I have a situation like, a single webapp, but different modules inside a
single webapp. Each module is using its own logging using log4j. Each
one has a configuration file in Web-inf/classes and log4j.jar is inside
Web-inf/lib which they are configuring in their classes through
PropertConfigurator.
Some problems faced are

1. Now the problem is that after tomcat starting up. There's a module
which is appending on Console. but instead the logs are coming in
standard error. I am not getting why they are coming in stderr instead
of stdout logs.

2. Also .. i have one more query. i have the configuration file outside
the tomcat environment, but i have configured the file in
PropertyConfigurator, but the logging doesnt come in stdout of tomcat.
Is it because configuration file is not available to tomcat classloader.

3. There is another module who is logging inside its log file using
FileAppender. The problem is that the logging of all the modules start
coming in that file after the tomcat startup. They are not logging in
their separate log files. Is it that in Tomcat environment, in one
webapp, only one logging property comes into effect.

I hope many people must be using log4j inside tomcat with this kind of
environment.  Please guide.

Thanks
Atul