From "Adrian Janssen" <a.jans...@videonetworks.com>
Subject RE: Log based on object and not the class
Date Thu, 11 Dec 2003 15:52:43 GMT
Pass the child object's Logger in to the parent method.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Melcher [mailto:smelcher@assistcorp.com]
Sent: 11 December 2003 15:47
To: 'Log4J Users List'
Subject: Log based on object and not the class

Hi, my problem is that in my object architecture/hierarchy I have dozens of
classes that extend a single parent class.  The parent class has a method
that is called by all of the child classes.  It is in this method that I
have several log statements.  The problem is that I only have the ability to
turn the logger on or off for that parent class.  If I turn it on then I
will get too many logging messages.  I would only like to log messages in
that parent class for a given child class.
I know I am not explaing this well so I will add a quick code example.

In my example I only want to log messages from the Child1 class.  Therefore
if I was to execute my two child classes I would want to get a single
"logging message".

Class Parent {
	Public void myMethod() {
		Logger.debug("logging message");