From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: Configuring Log4j for testing vs. development vs. deployment
Date Mon, 29 Dec 2003 16:39:26 GMT
You are purely speculating here.  I have just stated below that, in fact,
log4j.xml *does* support referencing system variables.  You can disbelieve me
and not use them yourself or you can test as to whether what I am saying is
actually true or not, but please don't post stuff like this and spread
misinformation when you aren't sure of the facts.  I currently use the
following in a FileAppender and it sure works for me...

<param name="File" value="${myapp.log.home}/main.log" />

I set up a system variable named "myapp.log.home" in a servlet context listener
at application startup with the path to the log file.  The file fills up with
logging statements as expected.

Also I may be mistaken here since I don't use properties files much with log4j,
but I'm pretty sure properties files *do* support creation of local variables
in the properties file to reference later in the same file in addition to
reading system variables.  You'll have to get verification of this since I'm
not positive, but I'm pretty sure it is true.

Jake

Quoting haggaic2v7-loguser@yahoo.com: