From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Log4j SMTP Appender Tomcat trouble
Date Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:42:53 GMT

mail.jar shouldn't be in WEB-INF/lib as it is an endorsed library (anything
java.* javax.*, org.xml.*, org.w3c.dom.*).  Put it in
CATALINA_HOME/common/lib or endorsed.  This allows Tomcat to use the mail
api as well as your apps and will avoid troubles when/if the JDK actually
includes the mail api (does the J2EE jar include it?). Of course, this
probably isn't your immediate problem.

Is Log4j getting configured under Tomcat for you?  That is, are you getting
output in other appenders?  If not, get that going first, and then try to
get the Mail appender working.  Where is
log4j.properties?  WEB-INF/classes?  Are you configuring it manually?  It
may have been in the classpath of your IDE, but not of your webapp.  Just
things to check out.

Jake