From Ken....@bmwna.com
Subject RE: EJB and Log4J
Date Wed, 07 Jan 2004 16:59:59 GMT
It's a design issue - EJB components are intended to represent business
objects or processes, and writing to the file system (directly) shouldn't be
their responsibility, in theory.  However, in practice, logging is a common
concern of code in general so it's common practice to write to logs from
EJBs.

Furthermore, I believe the intent of that part of the spec is to partially
maximize portability of your EJBs.  Theoretically, your beans should be able
to run in a container that doesn't have access to the filesystem (or perhaps
is running on a system without a real filesystem).  However, in practice
this is rarely the case.

It shouldn't cause any problems, but use your best judgment.

Ken