From Raziel Steinmetz <rsteinm...@ibasis.net>
Subject RE: suppressing messages
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 17:16:59 GMT
Thanks Yoav,

I was afraid that this will be the answer.

While I agree with you that a logging facility shouldn't drop any messages -
but I do believe that specific appenders should have this capabilities (such
as SMTPAppender). It's almost like when you are changing the logging level
from DEBUG to INFO you are dropping all DEBUG messages.

I guess I will need to do some coding ...

Many Thanks,
Raz.

-----Original Message-----
From: Shapira, Yoav [mailto:Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 06, 2004 12:02 PM
To: Log4J Users List
Subject: RE: suppressing messages

Howdy,
You could write a TriggeringEventEvaluator that keeps a history of
logging events and consults it when deciding whether to pass or fail the
current event.

I'm not aware of other methods currently built-in to log4j, because this
request is against the spirit of logging, which is no dropped messages.
You're better off coding your system to log errors once.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

SMTP
>Appender to email me any error and fatal messages but sometimes the
same
>error can occur a few times per second and jam my mail box. I'm looking
for
>a way to set log4j to only send me the first message and then wait X
amount
>of time before resending the same error message.
>
>Any help is appreciated.
>Raz.

sender.  Thank you.