From "Daniel J Mauer" <djma...@raytheon.com>
Subject RE: Exclude a class from a particular appender.....
Date Tue, 06 Jan 2004 21:06:36 GMT

Hi,

Did you look into creating a custom filter?  I have only played around with
them a little bit, but chapter 6 of Ceki Gulcu's "Complete Log4J Manual"
covers them.  To work you will need to be able to identify the class the
LoggingEvent is coming from.  If each class has its own logger, you could
determine this based on the LoggingEvent's logger name.  Your filter could
exclude messages with a logger name that matches a parameter passed in when
you add the filter to your Console Appender.

- Dan

                      "Pitre, Russell"

                      <RPITRE@shawmut.         To:      "Log4J Users List" <log4j-user@logging.apache.org>

                      com>                     cc:

                                               Subject: RE: Exclude a class from a particular
appender.....
                      01/06/2004 01:38

                      PM

                      Please respond

                      to "Log4J Users

                      List"

Ok.  I took a look at log4j.xml and I didn't find an example of I'm
trying to do........here's my log4j.xml file.......if you take a look at
the "Userdefined Categories" you'll notice where I'm using the
additivity="false" value to eliminate logs being sent to the console.
Well, that's what I'm trying to do at least.....I've googled all day
long but to no avail........so frustrating....and I can't find anything
within the Jboss docs either.....(I have the CS subscription, and I'll
reserve my comments about their documentation)......So if anyone can
help me out I would really appreciate it..

==
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/"
debug="false">

  <!-- ================================= -->
  <!-- Preserve messages in a local file -->
  <!-- ================================= -->

  <!-- A time/date based rolling appender -->
  <appender name="FILE"
class="org.jboss.logging.appender.DailyRollingFileAppender">
    <param name="File" value="${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/server.log"/>
    <param name="Append" value="false"/>
             <param name="Threshold" value="info"/>

    <!-- Rollover at midnight each day -->
    <param name="DatePattern" value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd"/>

    <!-- Rollover at the top of each hour    <param name="DatePattern"
value="'.'yyyy-MM-dd-HH"/>    -->

      <!-- The default pattern: Date Priority [Category] Message\n -->
      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%c] %m%n"/>

      <!-- The full pattern: Date MS Priority [Category] (Thread:NDC)
Message\n      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5r %-5p [%c]
(%t:%x)%m%n"/>       -->
    </layout>
  </appender>

  <!-- ============================== -->
  <!-- Append messages to the console -->
  <!-- ============================== -->

  <appender name="CONSOLE" class="org.apache.log4j.ConsoleAppender">
    <param name="Target" value="System.out"/>
             <!-- CHANGE "Value" to debug, info, warn, etc...-->
    <param name="Threshold" value="info"/>

      <!-- The default pattern: Date Priority [Category] Message\n -->
      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{ABSOLUTE} %-5p [%c{1}]
%m%n"/>
    </layout>
  </appender>

  <appender name="JSR77" class="org.apache.log4j.FileAppender">
    <param name="Append" value="false"/>
    <param name="File" value="${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/jsr77.log"/>
      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d{ABSOLUTE} %-5p [%c{1}]
%m%n"/>
    </layout>
  </appender>

  <!-- ============================= -->
  <!--      User Defined Appenders   -->
  <!-- ============================= -->

  <appender name="SCHEDULER"
class="org.jboss.logging.appender.RollingFileAppender">
    <param name="File" value="${jboss.server.home.dir}/log/guyute.log"/>
             <param name="Threshold" value="debug"/>
    <param name="Append" value="false"/>
    <param name="MaxFileSize" value="500KB"/>
    <param name="MaxBackupIndex" value="1"/>

      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%c] %m%n"/>
    </layout>
  </appender>

  <!-- ============================== -->
  <!--      User Defined Categories   -->
  <!-- ============================== -->

             <category name="com.shawmut.portal.scheduler">
                         <priority value="INFO"/>
                         <appender-ref ref="SCHEDULER"/>
             </category>

             <category name="com.shawmut.portal.scheduler"
additivity="false">
                         <priority value="INFO"/>
                         <appender-ref ref="CONSOLE"/>
             </category>