From jerome moliere <jmoli...@nerim.net>
Subject Re: Dynamic Appenders
Date Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:14:10 GMT
donkey@boo.net wrote:

>Is it possible to create appenders dynamically?
>
>Suppose we have a personnel system where people belong to various groups and
>occasionally new groups are created. We want a different log associated with
>each group where messages pertaining to a particular group are filtered to the
>correct log. We would like to be able to add new groups (and thus new logs /
>appenders) dynamically without having to edit the log4j.properties file. For
>simplicity, assume a person can only belong to one group.

Hi,
of course you can add appenders dynamically (using the log4j API of course)
then reloading the config (like in any application server) & that'sit !!!!
Example given: JBOSS has got an MBEAN providing a way for you to customize
the time between refresh & what file must be used (and format too)

HTH
Jerome

--
Auteur cahier du programmeur Java tome 2 - Eyrolles 10/2003
http://www.eyrolles.com/php.informatique/Ouvrages/ouvrage.php3?ouv_ean13=9782212111941