From "Scott Deboy" <sde...@comotivsystems.com>
Subject RE: pattern and chainsaw
Date Sun, 29 Feb 2004 20:39:36 GMT
I agree, log files stored in a non-XML format should be viewable in Chainsaw v2.

I contributed a Receiver which provides Log4J (and Chainsaw v2) the ability to process events
stored in a logfile written using an arbitrary format (PatternLayout).

In order to use this receiver, follow the instructions in the 'installation' section of the
Chainsaw v2 page and use the XML configuration provided below

Here's a link to the Chainsaw v2 page:
http://logging.apache.org/log4j/docs/chainsaw.html

See the javadoc of the new Receiver for an explanation of the available keywords used by the
the 'logFormat' param:
http://cvs.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/logging-log4j/src/java/org/apache/log4j/varia/LogFilePatternReceiver.java?rev=1.1&view=auto

Here is the example XML configuration, which can load events written to disk using this PatternLayout
format: %r [%t] %-5p %c %x - %m%n

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<log4j:configuration xmlns:log4j="http://jakarta.apache.org/log4j/" debug="true">
   <plugin name="LogFileReceiver" class="org.apache.log4j.varia.LogFilePatternReceiver">
      <param name="timestampFormat" value="yyyy-MM-d HH:mm:ss,SSS"/>
      <param name="logFormat" value="RELATIVETIME [THREAD] LEVEL LOGGER * - MESSAGE"/>
      <param name="fileName" value="c:/logs/A4.log"/>
   </plugin>
   <root>
      <level value="debug"/>
   </root>