From Ma...@cms400.com
Subject RE: performance problems IBM JVM
Date Mon, 02 Feb 2004 18:10:20 GMT

Ceki Gülcü <ceki@qos.ch> wrote on 02/02/2004 12:26:08 PM:

> Log4j computes location information by throwing an exception which is
> caught immediately and parsing the stack trace of the exception.
> Apparently, creating an exception on AIX is slower than on other
platforms.

This is a bit of a nitpick, but it may prevent others from needlessly
looking throught the code.

The terms used in your description worried me for a moment, in terms of
efficiency.
To clarify:
It seems, from looking at source, you don't actually throw an exception,
and hence there is nothing to catch. Rather you do the more sensible thing
which is to simply instantiate an exception.